Ten Years: Ten Awesome Moments
Many know about MediaStyle’s work with Gord Downie’s Secret Path or the many months of long nights and emotional days required for the Truth and Reconciliation Commissions closing events, but fewer folks would know of some of the earlier campaigns our feisty little team has mounted.
Ten other really big wins not to be forgotten, in chronological order:
- In our first year, we worked closely with the National Aboriginal Health Organizations (NAHO) to organize their annual role model awards and went on to create series of documentaries promoting immunization and a campaign in three Inuktitut dialects for broadcast across all of Inuit Nunangat.
- Our campaign, “Security for Sale” for the Union of National Defence Employees (UNDE) saved over 700 jobs and helped ensure a public-private partnership was more transparent and didn’t move union work to the private sector. It was the first lobbying campaign in Canadian history to deploy Google ads and micro-targeted landing pages.
- Our digital work caught the eye of a group of young people who went on to found LeadNow who visited to learn about Ottawa and seek advice. We’ve been helping their work off the side of our desk for years as fundraisers, unofficial and official strategists, media coaches and cheerleaders.
- Our team was trusted with several memorial events for Jack Layton: a massive concert in Nathan Phillips Square and the official tribute at the New Democratic Convention and we also created “Dear Jack” a crowdsourced memories platform, which was a technological and emotional challenge we overcame with grace.
- MediaStyle created the Ottawa Riverkeeper Gala and sponsored the first two galas, the event has gone on to raise over $5 million for the organization.
- Our team ran point on communications for the longest ever public service strike, when the Professional Association of Foreign Service Officers (PAFSO) fought for equal work for equal pay we helped them coordinate communications for the strategic rotating strike across every diplomatic post in over 20 time zones.
- We supported the creation of the Indigenous Innovation Summit, two-years working deeply with the teams at the NAFC and McConnell Foundation to create an event that has been described as “transformational to the social innovation in Canada.”
- We have run the most prestigious prize for scientific innovation in pharmaceuticals for six years! Health Research Foundations Medal of Honour Awards Gala in partnership with Prix Galien and Research Canada. We took a formal sit down gala and turned it into a true awards ceremony.
- And we get to so very many things before the crowd: first “tweet up” at a political convention, first podcasting studio (we’ve had two!), first digital lobbying in Canada, first sponsored podcast, first B Corp agency in Ottawa and the first to know about every single meme the internet has to offer.
- Our spaces have been home to countless organizations celebrations, board retreats and strategic vision sessions. We’ve helped some of the most notable and radical organizations get up on their feet and it takes a lot of hospitality and love to make that happen.
Ian Capstick is MediaStyle’s Founder.